General Guidelines for Rameswaram Pilgrims and Tourists:
General Guidelines and Tips for Rameswaram Pilgrims and Tourists are discussed in this page.
- To carry Mobile phones, IPods, IPads, Cameras (Still, Video etc.,), Storage Devices, Suit case, Luggage Bags, matchbox, Sharp pointy objects, Tobacco Products, Flammable materials inside the Temple premises is prohibited.
- There is a Locker facility system maintained by Temple Devashthana (undertaken by TamilNadu government Hindu Religious Charitable Endowments Department), near to the Eastern entrance of the Ramanathaswamy temple .Here you can keep your mobile phones, camera, luggage bag etc., before entering into the temple premises.(They are charging around Rs.10 protecting your goods.
- Apart from the government maintained Locker room, there are quite more other private locker facilities available in and around Rameswaram temple. It is advised by our myrameswaram website to keep your valuable materials in the government approved locker rooms or in the lockers of the Hotels you are staying.
- There are 22 Theerthams (Sacred water wells/ponds) inside the Ramanathaswamy Temple.
- If you wish to take Holy/Sacred Bath (Theertha Snanam) in Rameswaram, You have to take a bath in the sea (named as Agni Theertham) near to the east gate of Ramanathaswamy temple which is considered as the first theertham.
- After taking Bath in the sea (Agni theertham),you have to get an entrance ticket for bathing in the sacred theerthas inside the temple. This ticket is given by Temple devashthana theertha ticket counters near to the temple (which is maintained by Government of Tamilnadu). The official charge is only ₹.25 per head.
- It is advised to carry a water bottle while you take theertha snana (Holy/Sacred Bath), so that you can collect all the 22 theerthas (22 Holy Water) and bring back it to your home, All theerthas are not meant for sale by Temple Devasthana, out of 22 theerthas inside the temple they are selling to tourists and pilgrims only the 22nd theertha “Kodi Theertha”.
- Don’t wear too much of jewels and stand in the queue.
- Worshiping the deity with Wet Cloths is prohibited in Ramanathaswamy Temple, so it is advised to carry changing cloths with you. Dress changing rooms for gents and ladies separately available inside the temple premises.
- Taking Photographs inside the Temple premises is prohibited.
- Entering Temple Premises wearing Lungi, Night dresses and trousers were prohibited.
- Ladies were advised to enter Ramanathaswamy Temple wearing traditional dresses such as Saree, Half Saree, Pyjamas, Kurtis and Churidar. Entering with modern dresses such as Jeans, T-shirt, Trousers etc., were prohibited for ladies.
- Rameswaram City is “No Plastic City”, don’t threw plastic bags and garbage’s in public places, It may results in penalty.
Rameswaram Temple Map:
Myrameswaram Wishes you a happy and pleasant Rameswaram visit!